Monday, July 30, 2007

Hughie Hughie Hughie!

I had a bit of a Hugh Grant fest this weekend. Well, sort of. If you can call 2 films a film-fest, then I guess I did. Before I go any further, I will admit that I tend to like Hugh Grant better when he plays the bastard than when he plays the sensitive hero--I think it's because I suspect his more like a bastard in real life. Oh well!

That being said, I will also say that there are exceptions.

First off, Music and Lyrics. I had this out from Netflix for, oh, a month or so before ever getting around to watching it. I'm not sure why since I do like Hugh Grant and, as much as I hate to admit it, I tend to like Drew Barrymore. Basically, a washed up 80s star gets a 2nd chance at stardom by writing a song for a teenie-bopper pop star, but he needs a good lyricist. Honestly, it's not the most original story line and the movie is a bit formulaic. However, any movie that starts with the 80s music video of "Pop! Goes My Heart!" is worth it! Yes, it's a cheezy movie, but it's a sweet cheezy movie and, strangely, Hugh Grant comes off well as a nice guy. Imagine that. It is a chick flick--admittedly--but my Studmuffin still enjoyed it. In fact, he enjoyed it so much that he felt the need to watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding immediately afterwards. Whatever.

Then, while I was in the throes of an allergy attack and rather drugged up, I decided to watch American Dreamz. And, guess what, Hugh Grant played the obnoxious, self-absorbed guy I usually like. Not this time. Let's see, what was wrong with this movie:
1 - Hugh Grant was surprisingly unconvincing as a Simon Cowell-clone.
2 - I really don't like American Idol
3 - I'm a little disturbed by the fact that Al Quaida is being used in a comedy
4 - Suicide bombing is not funny
5 - I'm really sick of very thinly-veiled ridicules of real people (in this case, the President). Either have the balls to actually say it's that person or just don't do it.
6 - The end is rather disturbing (see #4)
Luckily for me, this was from OnDemand so, therefore, I did not waste any valuable Netflix queue space for it. Blech!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reviewing that movie. Was on the fence about watching it & now I don't have to :)