Monday, March 05, 2007

Cleaning out the Netflix Queue

So, I've had a couple of movies from Netflix for quite a long time. One is Waking Ned Devine, which I had previously seen and loved. Since it's almost St. Patrick's Day, I think I'll save it until then. The other two, however, I finally watched this weekend.

First off...

Swingers
I tried to watch this film some years ago when my then-roommate, Jimmy, told me it was the funniest movie ever. I watched about 10 minutes of it. Basically, I thought it was a guy flick--the kind of movie that you have to be male to appreciate. Recently, however, a couple of women told me that I really should watch it, and not just for the Vince Vaughn factor.

I watched it. All of it. Here's what I thought:
1 - Swing dancing is really fun and there should have been more of it in this film.
2 - Vince Vaughn was really skinny
3 - John Favreau was really skinny
4 - The is a guy flick.

I think my Studmuffin enjoyed it, but it's qualities were still lost on me.

The next movie:
Trust the Man
I'd seen the previews for this movie and was waiting for it to come out in theaters and, lo and behold, it ended up on Netflix. Probably not a good sign, but oh well. It stars Julianne Moore, David Duchovny, Maggie Gyllenhall and Billy Crudrup. With the exception fo Crudrup, who I can't recall ever seeing in another movie, I think this is an excellent cast.

Basically there are two plots. First off, Julianne Moore is married to David Duchovny, who is a stay at home dad and sex addict. Marital issues. Then there is Maggie Gyllenhall, who has been dating Billy Crudrup for 7 years and wants to get married and have babies.

I actually kind of liked the second plotline. It seemed believable and starred one of my favorite actresses. I think if they were making a movie of my life, the role of me would be played by Maggie Gyllenhall, but I digress. It was entertaining and cute--maybe not enough to hold up by itself, but oh well.

The Julianne Moore/David Duchovny storyline, however, was far too contrived for me. For such a serious topic, it came off like a sitcom. And, frankly, I expected far better acting from Julianne Moore. Really, I didn't car about either one of them.

So, my verdicts:
Swingers - Only watch this if you are a guy. Vince Vaughn is not nearly handsome enough in this movie to make it worthwhile.
Trust the Man - Not horrible, but could definitely be worse. Maggie Gyllenhall save it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wasn't billy cruddup the cat from almost famous? the non-funny, non-jason leigh one?